Tuesday 4 December 2012

Bb Emily is Born!

Bb Emily has finally arrived on 4 Dec 2012. 😊

We had expected to have a super fast labour with Emily. Clare and Isaiah's labour took less than 3 hours from the first sign of labour. For Clare, I experienced contractions and for Isaiah, my water bag burst. So my gynae, Damon and myself were very worried that I may not be aw to get to the hospital on time for delivery. So Dr Ong told us to get all our plans ready, and Damon and I really got plan A, plan B. plan C etc. all thought out.

However, our dear Emily had other plans. On the midnight of 4 December, I started to have contractions pains and Damon and I decided to time them. They were about 8 minutes apart. We thought that we better rush down to the hospital, given my history. We gave my parents a call for them to come over, we grabbed the hospital bag and went to the hospital.

When we reached the hospital, I can feel the pain getting a little less intense. The nurse checked me at the delivery suite and found that I was only 2cm dilated . I changed into the hospital gown and was strapped onto a machine to monitor baby's heartbeat and my contractions.

After an hour or so, to our surprise, there was no progress to my contractions. They were still 8 minutes apart. We felt bewildered, wondering what was happening?

Then the nurse came to unstrap me, and told me to rest and that Dr Ong would see me in the morning.

The next morning, Dr Ong came and he was also surprised at my slow progress. He asked if I wanted to be put on drip to fasten the dilation as I was still just 2 to 3cm dilated. I agreed and I was put on the drip at 9am.

However, the drip didn't work initially. My contractions were still 10 minutes apart. The nurse was also surprised and she kept increasing the dosage.

Finally, at 12 plus, the gaps between my contractions were getting shorter to 5 minutes and then to 3 minutes. During this time, Dr Ong came to deliver two babies of his other 2 patients. I think I heard a total of 4 to 5 babies wailing during my wait and I felt so demoralized.

The nurse came to check my dilation at 12 plus and she said, to my dismay, that I was still only 3cm dilated. Suddenly, less than an hour later, I suddenly felt very intense contractions and the urge to push.

I screamed for Damon to get the midwife and she immediately got the nurse to call Dr Ong.
The midwife was a very motherly woman and she reassured me that everything was alright and that she would deliver the baby for me if Dr Ong could not get there in time. Within minutes, Dr Ong arrived and before he could put on his gown properly, Emily is out!


My painful contractions
In the delivery suite

Baby Emily is born at 3.16 kg

Presenting Baby Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment