Thursday 13 December 2012

Visit to Lactation Consultant

I intend to breastfed Emily just like I have breastfed Clare and Isaiah. However, I am
very prone to plugged ducts. With Clare, I even developed Mastitis.

Emily could latch on very well since Day 1. On the fourth day after her birth, my breasts started to get very engorged. I could feel huge lumps on both of them and Emily could not seem to clear them. I was very worried that I would develop Mastitis again. I asked for advice from fellow mummies from Auntie Kampung Style and Joan, they all agreed that I should keep massaging. However, days passed and after all the painful massaging, I still could not get rid of the lumps.

It kind of affected my mood and I was easily frustrated as a result. Pei Ee suggested that I should see a lactation consultant. During my visit to the gynae, Dr Ong also suggested seeing a LC and gave me a contact. However, I kept putting it off as I heard many horror stories of the pain mummies went through with the LCs.

On day 10 after Emily's birth, I decided that I should just bear with the pain once and for all to clear the lumps as it was affecting me emotionally.

I called the LC Dr Ong recommended and went down straight to her house in an hour's time. She is Karen Lenn. The moment I saw her, I knew I was in good hands as she looked so motherly and reassuring.

To my surprise, the whole procedure was comfortable with minimal pain and it only took 30 minutes. All she did was to put hot towels and gently massage them. And.. all the lumps were just gone. I was so so thankful for her help. She was really God-sent.

In the meantime, Emily was crying for me, or rather for her milk. We hurried home and she was already red in the face from crying. :)

I really felt so much better after that and my mood became much much better too. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment